Reverend Professor Emeritus James Haire AC is Director of the Australian Centre for Christianity and Culture, Director of the Public and Contextual Theology Research Centre, and Professor of Theology at Charles Sturt University, Canberra. His other appointments have included:
- President of the National Council of Churches
- Chair of the National Heads of Churches
- President of the Uniting Church
- Principal of Trinity Theological College, Brisbane
- Head of the Griffith University School of Theology
- Member of the Princeton Center of Theological Inquiry
- Knight of St John
- Rotary Honorary Peace Ambassador
- Presidential Friend of Indonesia
- Co-Chair of the Uniting Church – Catholic Dialogue
- Member of the World Methodist Council – Vatican Dialogue
- On the boards of six journals and two book series and
- Negotiator in the eastern Indonesia peace process.
James was awarded a Centenary Medal and four honorary doctorates, and was appointed an AM, and then an AC, in the Order of Australia.