Gordon Coutts was born in Gordonvale, Queensland, educated at Gordonvale State School and Cairns High School to Junior standard and employed by the Commercial Bank of Australia Limited for nine years in various branches in north and south Queensland.
While at Albert Street, Brisbane, he felt called to ministry in the Presbyterian Church and this led to employment as a home missionary and theological student. After commencing a new congregation at Acacia Ridge, Gordon was stationed at Springsure in central Queensland, then a new parish at Gatton, Helidon and Murphy’s Creek. There his studies prepared him for three years of study in the Theological Hall based in the newly established Emmanuel College at St Lucia. He completed these studies in 1958 and was ordained and inducted into the Oakey Parish.
In 1962 he was appointed Superintendent of Mornington Island Mission. After a term of service there, he returned to parish work at St Giles, Yeerongpilly. It was during his time at Yeerongpilly he became associated with the Council of Emmanuel. He also served as Secretary of the Federal College Committee and Board of Missions.
In 1976, Gordon accepted a position as Administrative Officer of the Aboriginal Communities in Queensland, administered after union with the Uniting Church. When Government terminated the Church’s association with these communities, he returned to parish work, firstly at Moorooka and in 1986 at St Stephen’s in Toowoomba. Gordon retired from service and from College Council in 1996.